- Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
- Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
- Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
- Name five people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
- Name the last five Academy Award winners for best actor or best actress.
How did you do? The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one:
- Name five teachers who aided your journey through school.
- Name five friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
- Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
- Name five people who have made you feel appreciated and special this past year.
- Name five people you enjoy spending time with.
Easier? The lesson: the people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
PATRICK LAI and his family have worked in SE Asia for over 37 years. His experience in doing business with Jesus has brought him to understand the meaning of work and worship in the marketplace. He started 14 businesses in four countries, six of which are still operating. Patrick and his wife, May, mentor and coach businesspeople working where there are few or no Christians. Check out Patrick’s latest book, Workship, now available in paperback and e-book.